Grade Change Application - Deadline Extension

no image

In August 2021, we notified families of legislation that was passed to support all high school students who were adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic in the 20-21 school year. This legislation gave all high school students and their parents/guardians a right to request a grade change for 2020-2021 school year courses. Adult students and parents/guardians of students under 18 may apply to change a letter grade (A-F) to a grade of Pass or No Pass for students who were in grades 9-12 only in the 2020-2021 school year.  

Students who received a grade of F in semester 1 (Fall 2020), may request to change to No Pass. A No Pass grade will not negatively affect a student’s GPA like an F grade does. Be aware that the course will need to be made up, even with this change, if it is a graduation requirement for you/your child.

Students who received a passing grade of D in either semester 1 (Fall 2020) or semester 2 (Spring 2021 or Summer 2021), may request to change the letter grade to a Pass. A Pass grade will not negatively affect a student’s GPA like a D grade does. Changing a grade of D to Pass will also mean that you/your child do not have to retake the class to validate the D for admission to Cal State Universities (CSU) and University of California (UC). However, while all CSUs and UCs will accept a grade of pass, not all private or out-of-state universities will. For a complete list see:

Grade Change Application

The state has authorized districts to extend the deadline to submit the grade change application. The new deadline is Wednesday, October 6, 2021.

Use these links to access the application: 

Click here for the English application

Click here for the Spanish application.

Click here for the Vietnamese application.

Please follow the instructions on the application. Applications may be submitted by email to your high school principal (Click here for school principal email information), in person to your school's front office or by U.S. mail to your school site. Applications sent by mail must be postmarked by the due date.

Your school will notify you that the requested grade change has been made within 15 calendar days of receipt of a grade-change request.

All timely requests to change letter grades to a Pass or No Pass will be accepted. There is no limit on the number or type of courses that are eligible for a change from a letter grade to a grade of Pass or No Pass.