GGUSD Begins 2018-2019 School Year with Increased Opportunities for Students
- Wednesday, August 29, 2018
The 2018-2019 school year began on August 29 with increased opportunities for students at Garden Grove Unified School District. Administrators, teachers, and staff rolled out the red carpet at several schools and welcomed students with smiles, cheers, posters, high-fives and festive photo booths to celebrate the first day of school.
“We want our students to know that we are excited to see them and that we are ready to make the 2018-2019 school year our best year yet,” said Bob Harden, Board of Education president.
The Garden Grove Unified School District is pleased to begin the 2018-2019 school year with increased opportunities for students, including:
- A brand new Computer Science Immersion Academy at Heritage Elementary School
- The district’s second Spanish Dual Language Immersion Academy at Russell Elementary School
- Newly modernized classrooms and athletic facilities at several schools
- School-wide air-conditioning at 56 schools (7 elementary schools received new A/C over the summer)
- More STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) programs during and after school
- Increase in AVID strategies taught after school at elementary schools
- New dual credit opportunities for high school students to earn high school and college credits
- Expanded social work and mental health services as well as mentoring opportunities
- More parent education classes and opportunities for families to get involved
This 2018-2019 school year brings new promise and opportunities after a success-filled school year in 2017-2018. GGUSD was the first and only district in Orange County to be named a 2018 California Exemplary District and 11 of its elementary schools were recognized as California Distinguished Schools. Forty GGUSD schools were named to the 2018 California Honor Roll for academic excellence and for the first time ever, all seven of GGUSD’s comprehensive high schools received a silver award in U.S. News and World Report’s elite rankings of America’s Best High Schools. Additionally, the district received the 2018 Leadership Advocacy Award for its exceptional work in supporting English learners and emerging bilingual students.
To enroll in one of GGUSD’s award-winning schools, call (714) 663-6000 or visit www.ggusd.us for more information