At-Home COVID Test Kits
On January 10, GGUSD began distributing free on/go COVID-19 Rapid Antigen At-Home Test Kits to elementary students. The district will continue with distribution to ALL students as we receive additional shipments from the California Department of Public Health.
Each test kit contains two tests. Families may use the first test now or save it to use when symptoms develop or a potential exposure occurs.
After administering the nasal swab, test results are viewable in 10-15 minutes.
- If your child’s test is negative, s/he can continue to attend school and does not need to do anything differently.
- If your child’s test is positive, s/he must stay home and please contact the school to report the results. S/he may return to school once:
- at least 5 days have passed since positive test or symptom onset if symptoms are present; and
- at least 24 hours have passed since resolution of fever without the use of fever reducing medication; and
- other symptoms have improved if symptoms were present; and
- a COVID-19 test is negative on or after day 5 following positive test or symptom onset if symptoms are present.
Families who do not want a test kit are encouraged to return it to the school’s main office so it can be provided to others.
Students who are close contacts of a school-based exposure can already receive free testing at their school campus during their school’s scheduled testing date each week.
Additionally, the federal government is providing 4 tests free of charge to each household. You can order the tests online at https://www.covidtests.gov/. Orders are expected to ship in 7 to 12 days.